Football 2 years ago

Wanderers to help fans appeal bans

  • Wanderers to help fans appeal bans

Western Sydney Wanderers say they'll advocate on behalf of any club member with proof that they've been unfairly slapped with an Football Federation Australia-enforced stadium ban.

Wanderers chief executive John Tsatsimas said on Wednesday anyone with "compelling evidence" to support their claim was welcome to contact the club to take it further.

There is currently no avenue to appeal for supporters who have been banned from attending A-League matches - an issue which has long been a source of fan discontent, and one that has bubbled to the surface in the wake of a News Corp Australia report which named and shamed 198 "louts" banned for a variety of offences.

You might also like

"Let's be clear - this is a serious subject and one that cannot be misrepresented or misinterpreted," Tsatsimas wrote in an open letter to Wanderers fans.

"If you do something that does not comply with the term of entry to any venue or the laws of this country, we will not support you.

"However, within the parameters of the system that is in place at FFA, if you feel you have been wrongly banned ... bring this evidence forward and we will advocate on your behalf to the FFA."

The Wanderers' main support group, the Red and Black Bloc, and Melbourne Victory's North Terrace have both committed to mid-match walk-outs at their A-League fixtures this weekend, as part of a protest against the treatment of active fans by the sport's governing body.

Tsatsimas said the Wanderers are to meet with new NSW Assistant Police Commissioner Kyle Stewart next week, in the hope of establishing a "more harmonious working relationship" between police and soccer fans.

Western Sydney fans made up the majority of the 198 fans on the leaked ban list, and were described as "grubs" by Police Association of NSW president Scott Weber earlier this month.

0 0
please wait...